Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Getting a big cat to purr...

So, I've taken the pill, and I'm trying to drink the koolaid to go along with it... i upgraded my primary workstation to Leopard. I've come across a couple things that are hampering my day to day work - i.e. Daylite isn't happy unless you want to go for a beta upgrade - which involved updating the server first to a beta system which then means I'm inflicting all of my fellow colleagues with a beta. Needless to say, that hasn't happened - using VPN to the office and ARD to control a server there gives me all the Daylite access I need. It is making me look real hard at the built-in calendaring in leopard server though - just a bit sooner than I'd expected to look at it, but knew it was coming none the less!

I've also had a bit of a headache mail day. Originally I thought people just didn't want to talk to me, but it turns out there's something a bit odd about when you upgrade an existing IMAP mail library. I had a lot of my mail sorted after delivery by mail rules, what I was seeing is that any mail that got sorted by a mail rule wasn't showing as a new message in the folder it got sorted into. It wasn't until I clicked on a mailbox that had had Mail.app move with the rules did I discover there was actually new mail in there! It looks like the solution is to rename ~/Library/Mail and let everything get downloaded from the IMAP server again... this little exercise of course killed all my rules, and signatures... so I have no real way of ensuring this really was the fix, but I'm going to try something out and see if ti drives me nuts - I'm going to actually use smart folders for my mail. I've always had a "Today" smart folder, which is great - essentially I have a mailbox that is anything I've received today, and isn't junk - a really nice way of just looking in one place for all new stuff. So now, instead of rules, here come more smart mailboxes. I'm wondering exactly what I'm going to do about the ginormous inbox I'm about to acquire... now what does that new "Archive mailbox..." function do...

No comments: